For more than a century, Consumers Energy has provided customers with reliable, affordable power to fuel Michigan’s amazing innovation, production and progress. We have a bold vision to continue to safely and affordably meet the future energy needs of Michigan customers while continuing to protect our environment.
Corporate Environmental Policy
The life of any business cannot be separated from its impact on the natural environment in which it operates. All employees, including senior management take seriously our role in protecting and enhancing the environment and its interaction with the energy needs, the economic well-being and the quality of life of all the communities in which we operate and serve. Wherever we do business, our activities will be consistent with sound environmental practices.
Therefore, we will manage our businesses according to the following principles:
- Comply with environmental laws, regulations, and other requirements
- Understand and reduce, where practical, the environmental impacts of our activities and demonstrate that understanding in planning and executing our work
- Establish objectives, guidelines and detailed procedures as needed to implement this policy
- Provide adequate resources to meet our environmental commitments
- Encourage cost-effective opportunities to prevent pollution and to reuse and recycle used materials. Handle and dispose of waste materials in ways that minimize environmental risk
- Work with environmental agencies and organizations to ensure timely, reasonable and cost-effective resolutions to environmental issues
- Fully weigh potential environmental risks before transactions involving the sale, lease, transfer or purchase of assets
- Encourage employee participation in environmental protection and enhancement efforts
- Review conformity with these environmental principles on a regular basis to ensure compliance and improve performance
- Communicate this policy and our environmental values to our employees and interested stakeholders
Updated June 2014