The Consumers Energy Budget Plan Offers
Convenience, Peace of Mind and Security
While you can’t predict Michigan's weather, you can count on the Consumers Energy Budget Plan to help keep your energy costs steady year-round.
With the Budget Plan, you can spread out your annual energy costs into equal payments. It’s a great way to help manage your household budget. The exact amount will vary from customer to customer.
The Budget Plan payment for an average residential electric customer will be about $91 per month. The average residential customer will pay about $80 per month for their natural gas service. For natural gas-only and gas-electric combination customers, the Budget Plan year begins June 1 and runs through May 31. For electric-only customers, the Budget Plan year begins October 1 and runs through September 30. Customers must have their bill payments up to date to enroll. Customers may enroll in the Budget Plan at any time, but monthly payments will be slightly higher because there will be fewer months to spread out the energy costs.
- Enrollment is free
- Get equal payments
- Fits any lifestyle
- Easier on your budget
- Enjoy peace of mind with nearly 400,000 Michigan neighbors
- Budget Plan FAQs
Sign Up for the Budget Plan Today! Two easy ways to enroll
Please have your energy bill handy.
- Sign in to your eServices profile. Click on “My Accounts,” then click on “Enroll in Budget Plan”.
- Call toll-free (800) 477-5050
Budget Plan Details*
For natural gas-only and gas-electric combination customers, the Budget Plan year begins June 1 and runs through May 31. For electric-only customers, the Budget Plan year begins October 1 and runs through September 30.
- We project your energy bills for the coming year based on your past energy use, weather trends and projected energy costs
- The total is averaged and divided into 11 equal payments
- The 12th month we’ll balance your account. If you used more energy than you paid for, your Budget Plan year-end bill will include the difference. If you used less, you’ll pay less
- We’ll monitor your energy use throughout the year and make adjustments, if needed, to help keep your energy bills affordable and predictable
If you’re already enrolled in the Budget Plan, there’s no need to take any action.
Simplify Your Life
The Budget Plan works well with our free and convenient recurring payment options. Learn more here.
*Customers participating in Consumers Energy assistance programs, such as the Winter Protection Plan and Shut-off Protection Plan, are not eligible for the Budget Plan.