Start, Stop or Transfer Service

Couple Moving into a New House

Moving day just got a little easier with the convenient online service request form. Whether you’re a new customer requesting to start service(s), or an existing customer that needs to stop or transfer your current services, we’re here to help. If you have an existing online account, log in to complete your request.

Start, Stop or Transfer Service

Additional questions? Visit our FAQs.

New Construction Service

If you are requesting service for a location that does not have pre-established service with Consumers Energy, please call our Customer Service team at (800) 477-5050 for assistance with your request. Find additional information on new construction requirements, service retirement and installing a gas generator.

If you're ready to submit your service request, please complete the checklist and application form.


Landlords that prefer to start service(s) for tenants should use the Landlord Utility Service. The service allows landlords to easily manage multiple properties in one place.

Please Note: Landlords requesting services on behalf of a tenant must have permission to use his/her personal identification.

Fair Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA)

Residential customers requesting new Consumers Energy service must provide identity validating information. This complies with the federal Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) and helps Consumers Energy safeguard the information of customers.

The validating information required for an online service request is a Social Security number and a driver’s license number. Customers may also provide a Michigan state ID number, U.S. military dependent’s ID card, Native American tribal document or passport if submitting a request via phone.

Customers who do not wish to provide the required identification through the online process or over the phone will be required to provide physical copies of their identification through one of the following ways:

  • Taking appropriate information to a Consumers Energy direct payment office, or
  • Faxing notarized copies toll-free to the utility for review at (877) 635-9549

An immediate family member or someone with legal documented representation may request service on behalf of a customer with the proper information.