Smart tips to help our environment. And smart links to share more ideas.
Consumers Energy cares about the state of Michigan, its people, and the environment in which we all live. That's why we created the green generation sm program, and why we've provided some practical tips and informative Web resources that can help you learn more about our environment and help protect it every day.
Here are more practical ways that every household and business can help our environment.
1. Reduce e-waste. Recycle or donate your cell phones, computers and other electronics.
2. Use rechargeable batteries. This way youn't be throwing toxic batteries into the garbage every time they stop working.
3. Conserve paper. Don't print out documents unless absolutely necessary. Or use the reverse side of old print outs to save paper.
4. Use durable products. Choose furniture, equipment, and tools that will stand the test of time.
5. Reuse products. You can reuse newspaper, boxes, shipping peanuts and bubble wrap to ship packages.
6. Recycle automotive products. Take car batteries, antifreeze and motor oil to participating recycling centers.
7. Buy products made from recycled material. Today, many bottles, cans, containers and cartons are made from recycled material.
8. Use and dispose of home toxics properly. Do not pour toxics down drains or place them in the trash. Call your County Health Department for guidelines on disposal of toxics including paint and solvents, varnishes and refinishers, brake and transmission fluids, gasoline and oil, and fertilizers and pesticides.
More renewable energy connections.
These renewable energy links will connect you to a world of important information.
Michigan Public Service Commission
State of Michigan Wind and Solar Energy
Green Power Network
U.S. Department of Energy
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
U.S. Department of Energy - Renewable Energy