When it comes to your electrical instrumentation needs, we cover a full spectrum of services.
Consumers Energy’s System Maintenance and Construction Services (SM&CS) offers maintenance, testing, calibration and troubleshooting services for electrical power systems.
Highly experienced and capable SM&CS technicians and engineers provide expert maintenance and testing services on diverse electrical equipment and control systems for Consumers Energy, its customers and other electric energy providers and users.
Based in Jackson, SM&CS has field offices in Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Bay City, and Jackson — providing efficient, reliable service to the entire Consumers Energy service area and beyond.
- Identification of electrical circuit problems
- Calibration of protective relays and indicating devices to ensure electrical service reliability
- Verification of equipment for electrical isolation to ensure operator safety
- Evaluation of substation, power plant and switchyard electronic equipment to resolve problems caused by arcing switches, electrical surges and high-voltage spikes in control circuits
- Fiber optic splicing and fiber performance TDR testing
- Calibration and Repairs:
- Protective relays
- Watt-hour meters
- Graphic and indicating meters
- Battery chargers and inverters
- Station oscillographs, event recorders and fault recorders
- Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Switchgear circuit breakers, both load center and molded case
- Transmitters and receivers that carry signals over fiber optics, power lines, phone lines, radio and microwave channels
Test procedures include:
- Dielectric testing of aerial lift devices and hot-line tools
- Generator electrical testing
- Plant and switchyard start-up, checkout and commissioning
- High-voltage testing of cable and generators
- High-current testing of load center circuit breakers
- Harmonic measurements
- Transformer ratio and polarity testing
- Ground resistance and soil resistivity testing
- Distribution regulator and recloser controls troubleshooting, calibration and repair
This product/service is not regulated by the Michigan Public Service Commission.