Making an Informed Decision
At Consumers Energy, we offer relatively stable and predictable natural gas prices. That brings peace of mind during a long, bitter winter and for those on a budget.
We want to make sure you have the tools to make an informed decision about natural gas. After all, we live here, too, and have been serving Michigan for more than 125 years. We’re committed to the success of our customers and Michigan’s economy.
What you should know about Consumers Energy and the natural gas you receive:
- Our natural gas prices are lower than the average for the Midwest and the country
- We have a huge underground storage system, right here in Michigan, that allows us to buy an ample supply of natural gas during the summer when prices are generally lower and pass along those savings to you
- Our natural gas costs are regulated by the Michigan Public Service Commission ensuring your prices are reasonable and reflect market conditions. This helps to provide you with reliable energy and stable, predictable bills
- We make no profit on the sale of the gas itself, and like all commodities, the cost of that gas may vary by month, depending on the market conditions. For gas price information, please see our 18-month history
Use our Choice Comparison Calculator to compare your current rate with the rate an Alternative Gas Supplier is offering.
If you have questions about Gas Customer Choice you can review our frequently asked questions section, contact us by email, or call (800) 418 2263.
PLEASE NOTE: Consumers Energy is not associated or affiliated with Alternative Gas Suppliers, and our company does not recommend or endorse any of their products. If you purchase your gas supply from an alternative gas supplier, the price you pay will not be regulated by the MPSC.
AGS representatives may market to you by calling or coming to your home. To enroll with an AGS, you will need to provide the POD (Point of Delivery) number, name and service address from your current bill. Only provide the POD once you decide to enroll. Please be careful about disclosing too much private information when communicating with AGS representatives. Licensed Alternative Gas Suppliers.
If you choose an AGS you can still count on us to:
- Deliver the gas to your home or business
- Read your meter and send a monthly bill that includes Consumers Energy’s delivery charges and gas supply charges agreed to between you and the AGS
- Ensure the safety of our delivery system and fix any problems that occur