Apply at an event.
Must bring to the event:
- Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Proof of all household income for the past 30 days
- February 21st – Department of Health and Human Services, 5303 S Cedar St, Lansing, MI 48911 – 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- February 22nd – Reed City Housing Commission, 802 S. Mill Street, Reed City 49677 – 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- February 23rd – Reed City Housing Commission, 802 S. Mill Street, Reed City 49677 – 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- February 27th – Cristo Rey Community Center, 1717 N High Street, Lansing 48906 – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
- March 1st – Cristo Rey Community Center, 1717 N High Street, Lansing 48906 – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
- March 2nd – Temple United Methodist Church/MAPS, 2500 Jefferson St., Muskegon Heights, MI 49444 – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- March 3rd – Temple United Methodist Church/MAPS, 2500 Jefferson St., Muskegon Heights, MI 49444 – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Apply by mail. To be eligible, your account must be past due and your balance must be less than $2,000.
Consumers Energy partners with two human service agencies to perform eligibility validation and enrollment into the CARE Program. Both agencies are processing applications from customers statewide. Only apply to ONE agency.
United Way for Jackson County (statewide)
TrueNorth Community Services (statewide)
- Choose the agency you wish to apply to.
- Print the application from that agency's web page. If you do not have a printer, you can request an application and return envelope at a Consumers Energy direct payment office nearest you.
- Complete the application and pay careful attention to follow ALL of the instructions. All required sections and copies of supporting documentation are needed to determine your eligibility. Incomplete applications will delay processing. If you have questions about completing the application, contact the number provided in the application packet.
- Mail the application and supporting documents to the address indicated in the application. Consumers Energy offices do not receive applications. Instead we are working with agency partners to receive and process applications for eligibility.
Understand that space in the CARE Program is limited, and spots will fill quickly. We cannot guarantee review once the program is full. If you intend to apply, we encourage you to respond soon by submitting a complete application.
If you read the application and decide that CARE isn’t for you, there are other available resources to help. Some of the key programs are outlined in the table below. To learn about these options and connect with agencies in your area, visit ConsumersEnergy.com/assistance or dial 2-1-1.