We work to keep you safe around natural gas and electricity — two key sources of power and heat in Michigan.

Downed Power Line

Downed line action

Stay away and call us immediately.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Dig Safely

Dig safe icon

Before you dig, give MISS DIG811 a call.

Call 8-1-1

Smell Natural Gas?

Natural gas icon

Get to safety and call us immediately.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

General Emergencies

Clock icon

24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Natural Gas Safety

If you smell natural gas (a rotten egg odor) or suspect a leak, remember:
  • Leave the area immediately
  • Don't try to locate the source of the leak
  • Don't use an electric device
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Electric Safety

If you see a downed power line:
  • Stay at least 25 feet away
  • Don't touch anything it's in contact with
  • Always assume power lines on the ground or overhead are energized and dangerous
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

carbon monoxide detector on a blue wall

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  1. Install a CO alarm.
  2. Never use a generator in your home or business.
  3. Inspect your furnace annually. Change air filters at least every other month.
  4. Make sure your chimney and vent pipes are free of obstructions.
  5. Never use gas stoves or charcoal grills to heat homes.

CO Facts and Safety Tips

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can be deadly. The best way to protect your family is to place a carbon monoxide detector in every room where people sleep.

IMPORTANT: If the CO detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During a Power Outage

  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.
  • Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Don't heat your home with a gas oven, or charcoal grill.

If you suspect CO poisoning and you or anyone in your family are experiencing dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, vomiting, headache and confusion, you should immediately:

  • Get everyone, including pets, out of the house and into the fresh air.
  • Call 9-1-1 for immediate medical help.
  • Do not re-enter the house under any circumstance until help has arrived, your house has been investigated and the problem corrected.
  • Call a qualified contractor or your gas utility to have your appliances checked.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Place a CO detector in any room where people sleep.
  • Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, wood, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Don't run a car, truck, or electric generator inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

Additional Safety Information

Read more about important safety messages and brochures.

Learn More Learn More